Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Tuesday, February 10, 2015

I'd mention how great the weather has been, but I don't want to jinx it - just sayin'.

Heads Up

Thanks to the generosity of your students, families and staff, Mr. Poore's office is filling up with donations to support Samaritan Community Centers Snack Packs for Kids program. The donations collected help to offset the support not longer received from Arkansas Rice Depot and help Samaritan expand the program to junior high and high schools across Northwest Arkansas. Please remind everyone that donations will be accepted through Friday of this week. Mr. Poore will be working from the roof on Monday, February 16th.

You may not be aware that I receive phone calls from local media outlets all the time looking for positive stories about what is going on in the district. I routinely "pitch" them ideas. Trust me, they will find the negative stuff (or be informed by one of the cadre of journalists in the car line), so if you have anything that helps to polish the brand of Bentonville Schools, let me know.

#bpseduchat returns this week at 8:30 pm tonight. The topic this week is: Help! My PLC is making me crazy. Join moderator Janet Schwanhausser and I for an interesting and important conversation.

Some of you are aware of the goIT robotics camp that was held last year. I spoke with representatives from TATA Consultancy Services on Thursday and they are planning on sponsoring the camp again this year and have developed an option for high school students. There may be an opportunity for collaboration in curriculum development and design of the camp in the next month. I'll be looking for teachers interested in helping to facilitate the camp.

Here's an interesting article about the challenges we all face when trying to move students (or grown-ups) out of their comfort zone.

Wednesday Walkabouts

Wednesday came and went without the opportunity to get out. I was able to visit most building on Friday to pick up Snack Pack donations. I really wish there was a way for the community to have the same access to building that I enjoy. There is such a good vibe in each and every one that makes you so confident that what's happening is aligned with what's best for kids. 

Grants and Professional Development

Act 1294 is still with us and many are looking for options moving forward for students with Dyslexia. Here's a blog post that highlights some iPad apps that may provide help for Dyslexic students.

Video of the Week


I decided is time for a little pep talk from Sir Ken Robinson, one of the best voices arguing for relevance in education I've ever heard speak.



Bonus video

BHS A/V department documentary of MuSigma Inc. decision sciences course. Great example of business community and school district collaboration.



Thanks for all you do, send comments/suggestions, and remember, at the end of the day few will remember what you did, but many will remember how you made them feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment